To change the way Windows update the Operating System (Windows 10) via Group Policy we are going to make sure we have Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Home will not have the option to reschedule the Updates via Group Policy, since it does not have Group Policy installed, it is a feature present only on Windows 10 Pro.
All Newline onboard computers have Windows 10 Pro installed.
1) At the bottom left of our Windows Taskbar, we are going type gpedit and we will see the option Edit group policy
2) Select Administrative Templates
3) Double-click Windows Components
4) Scroll down to Windows Updates
5) Look for Configure Automatic Updates.
6) A new window will pop-up and on the left side you are going to have the 3 options
- "Not Configured"
We are going to select "Enabled" as shown in the picture. Under "Configure automatic updating:" There are several options from the drop-down menu, for this example, we are going to choose "4= Automatically download updates and install them on the schedule specified below". You are welcome to read on the "Help:" section on the right to see which option fits best for you.
7) We are going to select the Day and Time for our scheduled "Download and Install". For this example, we have selected Every Tuesday at 6:00 PM (18:00 hrs).
Note that the time will always display in "Militar" or "24hrs" format.
8) Finally, we are going to check how often we want the "Windows Updates" to run on our computer, scroll down until you see the option to change the occurrence of this task, in this example, I have selected to run every Tuesday of the first week of the month.
9) Done. We have configured and scheduled how Windows 10 Pro runs Windows Updates.